Saturday, November 12, 2011

DIY Magnets

Tutorial time! I've been wanting to post this for a while but just haven't gotten around to it. Today I want to show you how to make your own decorative magnets. I don't know about you, but I have never had "cute" magnets on my fridge. They were either pizza place magnets or magnetic chip clips. Ugly. So I decided to make my own. I can't take credit for the initial idea but I'm not linking to anyone else's blog because there are so many different ways to take them! I just wanted to show you how I did it!

1: Assemble your materials. What I used for this project were:

-pen/pencil
-scissors
-scrapbooking paper
-plain magnets
-E6000 glue
-glass marble/fake gem vase fillers

I got the magnets and scrapbooking paper at Michael's, but you could easily find them at Hobby Lobby or any craft store. I got the the glass vase fillers at the Dollar Tree. It was a little hard to find the large ones. They are about 1 1/2" in diameter. Everything else I had on hand. 



2. Find a design on the scrapbooking paper that you like. 


3. Trace around the glass gem. 


4. Apply glue to the flat side of the glass gem.


Here is what it looks like when the paper is attached to the back of the gem. You may want to slide the paper around the back of the gem to ensure that the glue spreads to the edges. You can't see it in the picture, but you will know what I'm talking about when you do it yourself. 


5. After the paper dries (who am I kidding? I didn't let the paper dry!) apply glue to the magnet.


6. Attach the magnet to the back of the paper-covered-gem



7. Admire your work! I made 4 out of the scrapbook paper and the other 4 that I made were just clip art that I printed off on regular white paper. So technically you don't even need scrapbooking paper to do this project!


I had a lot of fun making these and they didn't take long at all! They would make a great last minute gift  for any occasion. I had to stop myself from making more so that our fridge wasn't covered in beautiful magnets. I may have to make some Christmas ones and switch them out to "festive=ize" the kitchen! I hope you enjoyed the tutorial! I'll try to post another tutorial soon!

Loves,
Amy

1 comment:

  1. i love your blog! :)

    it makes me want to update my blog and keep it going!

    aka...you inspire me! :)

    ReplyDelete